Story at a Glance
- DDOT has scheduled the final surface paving for the Starburst intersection.
(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) has scheduled the final surface paving for the Starburst intersection. The work will begin Tuesday, August 10 and should be completed on or about Tuesday, August 17, weather permitting. The Starburst intersection is where 15th Street, H Street, Benning Road, Bladensburg Road and Maryland Avenue meet in Northeast DC., and portions of these streets near the intersection will also be paved.
This work will require lane closures of a few hours each, affecting each segment of the roadway as a segment is being paved. The lane closures will be rotated through the work area so as to apply only to the segment being paved at any given time. The work will begin at 7 am on weekdays and 9 am on Saturday.
As each segment is being paved, street parking will be prohibited in that segment. Signs will be in place and flaggers will be on hand to assist motorists and pedestrians.
The affected roadways are:
- Benning Road from the 15th Street Starburst intersection east to 16th Street;
- H Street from a point in the 1400 block into the Starburst intersection;
- Bladensburg Road from Morse Street south into the Starburst intersection;
- Maryland Avenue on the north side of the Starburst intersection southwest from Neal Street to the intersection with Bladensburg Road;
- Maryland Avenue on the south side of the Starburst intersection from 14th Street into the intersection at 15th Street, and
- 15th Street north from Gales and G Streets into the Starburst intersection.
This paving will mark the completion of all of the roadway work in the Benning Road Reconstruction Project. Work on the Starburst Plaza adjacent to the intersection is due for completion by early September of this year. The Benning Road section from 16th Street to Oklahoma Avenue was substantially completed in mid-December 2009.
More information about the project is available at dashboard.ddot.dc.gov under the Ward 7 Projects Link.
B2 Metrobuses Return To Normal Route
DDOT is also pleased to announce that as of Sunday, August 8, the northbound B2 Metrobuses have returned to their normal route proceeding north on 15th Street, NE through the Starburst intersection and onto Bladensburg Road.
The B2 buses have been re-routed since July 24 to accommodate construction work in the 700 block of 15th Street, from Gales Street north to the Starburst intersection. To circumvent the 15th Street work area, the buses were detoured across F Street, 13th Street, and H Street.
At the time the re-routing took effect, it was expected to last for three weeks—until August 14. However, DDOT’s construction contractor was able to complete the work faster than expected, so the B2 is being restored to normal six days ahead of schedule. The bus stop on the east side of 15th Street just south of the Starburst intersection was also restored for use this morning.